One of my greatest joys as a Leadership & Personal Presence Expert is encouraging other mid-lifers to make the choice to create the best versions of themselves – NOW!
This is liberating, because mid-life does not have to be a crisis, even in the midst of the familiar challenges and difficult realities:
- Unwanted and unexpected physical changes – weight gain, hair thinning, body aches, wrinkles, etc.
- Career changes – perhaps either starting over again or trying to maintain a competitive edge among your younger colleagues has affected your confidence.
- Loss of a loved one or disappointment in a relationship has had a devastating effect on you emotionally.
Too often, such challenges will cause you to feel depressed, defeated or inadequate when it comes to being able to create a compelling presence that exudes confidence. You don’t have to get down in the dumps about your life when you know how to present, package and promote the best of who you are in an ageless and dynamic way.
Mid-life doesn’t mean you step aside and become invisible. Face it, you have earned the right to still be noticed and have an even greater impact. You and I can take charge of our lives and the impressions and perceptions that people have about our perceived value by looking for areas in our lives to improve through a life makeover.
For starters, here are 4 practical areas to consider:
1. Pursue a character makeover – Consider the way you desire to be perceived. Identify the gaps in your character. Do you need more humility, perseverance, courage, patience or love? Character is a great way to increase your credibility and attract better opportunities in your life. “Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” J.C. Watts
2. Feed Your Spiritual Life – Devote time to incorporating spiritual disciplines into your life such as journaling, meditation, prayer, fasting. Schedule the time on a regular basis in order to achieve the peace and balance needed in your life.
3. Rediscover your lost self – Sometimes challenges, demands and setbacks in life can cause you to lose yourself. You must admit that the real you is MIA (Missing In Action). Then back-track your steps by looking into your past to remember where you first began to lose yourself. Have the courage to look inward and ask questions like:
- Who are you at this moment?
- When do you feel most like your authentic self?
- How would you like people to perceive you?
- What will it take for it to become a reality?
4. Embrace your body type – At mid-life, our bodies are typically expanding without warning! It is crucial to learn to love the skin that you are in by standing in the mirror and discovering at least 5 things that you love about your body. Then create your affirmations to help you reset that way you too choose to see your body. Write these affirmations in present tense with reason to affirm them. For example, if it is your eyes, you would write: “I have beautiful eyes. They allow me to see the good in others”.
Mid-life is not the end but the beginning of the best Y-O-U! It is a great time to be remarkable by making a lasting mark that will count for a lifetime. So go ahead, seize the moment, reflect the BEST of you every day in every way.
Action Plan: Choose one area to incorporate into your life this week. Take baby steps as long as it leads you in the right direction.