Ever find yourself driving along the highway and suddenly your windows fog up? You can’t see, so without thinking you roll down your window hoping that will help. That doesn’t work, so you impulsively wipe a hand across the window, making matters worse. Finally, it occurs to you – the car came with a built-in defroster!
Sometimes your view of life gets foggy, too. A lack of clarity about where you’re headed or who you are can incapacitate or discourage you, compromising your ability to show up polished, professional and poised in everyday life.
Effectively expressing your personal style requires that you cultivate a clear, authentic view of who you are. Clarity about your personal style empowers you to dress in a manner that gives others an appreciation of your personality, your strength and self-confidence, and your most distinctive skills.
Here are 5 simple steps to gaining clarity about your personal style:
- Keep a style journal – Be creative and make it true to your interests. Use it to keep notes, paste pictures, and sketch drawings.
- Define your style preference – Are you Inspired Classic, Dramatic Chic, Relaxed Casual, Modern Romantic, Unrestrained Bohemian or All American Preppy? You get to decide how you want to show up – the choice is yours!
- To thine own style be true – Wear what works best for you, and stick with it regardless of what is in style. You must love it!
- Find a style icon –It has been said, “Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.” Find someone who does a wonderful job of reflecting the style of your dreams. You can make your style a reality once you visualize it.
- Find what is appropriate – Align choices to your age and body type. Consider scale and proportions.
Clearly reflecting your personal style is a remarkable asset because it shapes others’ impressions of you. Take the challenge seriously, make the time, and don’t get distracted!